The project aims to set up a community radio station serving the 10 parishes around Wiveliscombe. 10Radio will provide a radio service that meets the needs of the local community for news, information, discussion and debate and also entertainment through drama, comedy and music as well as providing community & agency information.
About the Project
Update April 2008 – read the latest from 10Radio at the end of this article
This project will setup the studio and station prior to the start of full-time broadcasting and include the following elements:
- Lease and fit out of premises.
- Purchase of transmitter, portable training and outside broadcast equipment.
- Siting of transmitter.
- Recruitment of station manager.
- Pre-launch marketing and promotion.
- Delivery of the project
The project will be managed by members of the Board of Directors selected for their experience and expertise in managing this type of work.
- The studio will be located in the center of Wiveliscombe.
- Fit out will be undertaken by local builders.
- Equipment will be sourced from specialist radio suppliers.
- Marketing, recruitment etc will be led by Directors with the relevant expertise.
The outcomes and outputs include:
- 1 new radio service
- 1 new radio studio
- 1 job created
- up to 6500 listeners in target area plus spill over in Wellington, Taunton etc
- 50 community members provided with training in the first year to enable them to make and broadcast programmes of local interest.
Existing local radio targets wide areas and speaks predominantly to urban audiences. 10Radio will be by and for an established rural community that frequently experiences the removal and centralization of services to urban areas. As well as being a new service in its own right, 10Radio will promote (and thereby help sustain) public, community and private services available in and to the local community. 10Radio is a social enterprise and will be funded on an ongoing basis by sponsorship and advertising supplemented by grants for specific activities (e.g. training) and service level agreements.
There are many partnership linkages which can be demonstrated as follows:
- Kingsmead Community School has been a core funder and participant in 10Radio since 2005. Pupils host a lunchtime show. With the five year licence 10Radio will be further developing its contribution to the curriculum.
- 10Radio works closely with the 10 Parish Festival helping to promote events and encourage discussion about the local arts.
- Wiveliscombe Area Partnership has been a supporter of 10Radio since its inception and hosted the station in its premises in 2006.
10Radio update April 2008
10Radio started broadcasting on 105.3FM and the internet at www.10radio.org on 21 January 2008. New studios have been leased and fitted out in central Wiveliscombe at 1 Croft Cottage, West Street. These provide a fully equipped broadcast studio, an editing suite, and admin office. 10Radio broadcasts live from the Ten Parishes every Friday to Sunday. We also broadcast a live breakfast show every Monday to Thursday. The rest of the time we play a shuffle of music, sometimes by genre, or repeat programmes broadcast in previous weeks.
An ongoing programme of training in the use of the studio is being provided and a youth group is being trained and supported to present a weekly show on Saturday afternoons. Funding has been secured to recruit a part-time development manager for 10Radio. Their role will be to develop 10Radio as a business and to help secure its long term future in the local community.